Monday, March 31, 2008

God Bless the USA

I hate to admit it, but I am a closet Idol watcher! I am not one of those people who is all into the 'reality' shows. Idol is the only one I watch, or more listen to, I guess. One can read a book, do dishes or be on the computer and still get the same effect. Either the singing is good, or it is not. I know there are some people who become so involved they almost stroke out if their favorite goes into the bottom three or is just plainly eliminated. I have seen times where the better singer goes and the "What were you people thinking when you voted them to stay?" singer stays week after week. This leads Simon to state that people need to remember this is singing contest and not a contest of looks, or whatever. And no, I do not vote..just listen!

Last week, choosing and singing songs from the year of their birth, one of the girls sang Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA. Now this will show you how much I really pay attention, I have no clue to her name. She has a nice country voice but I doubt she will ever be a Carrie Underwood, who won a couple of years ago. The song always gives me a shiver up my spine and this time was no different. What did disturb me was the comment made that she basically took a chance and was very 'brave' to pick that song.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if we have become a society where we must hide our patriotism. If that is true, why? There are those who are applauded, defended and supported more for trashing, disrespecting the flag and our country than they are for flying the flag and showing the love for our country. Those of us who are patriots are sometimes thought of as racists, warmongers, non tree huggers and the like. Pride in being an American is often met with disdain by those who want to live here and reap the benefits, but who do not want to sacrifice for what they receive. It is sad that we have to be considered 'takers of chance and brave' to show our patriotism.

Webster defines a patriot as one who loves and zealously supports one's own country. I guess that puts me in the ranks of partiots. I cringe when I see flags flown inappropriately; torn and faded and I have been known on more than one occasion to make it known to the person involved the need to replace it. I place my hand over my heart when the flag passes, when I recite the Pledge, when I sing our national anthem. I will give you a dirty look if you do not do the same or remove your hat. I have made my grandkids recite the Pledge so I know they know it. I take what this country has to offer seriously.

" 'Cuz this flag still stands for freedom, and they can't take that away." I pray that remains true. I am having some doubts as we head into this next election. I pray the next president strives to keep us safe and free. I pray the next president remembers what our forefathers were striving for when they penned the Constitution, the Bill of Rights. I pray a lot.

" 'Cuz there ain't no doubt I love this land, GOD BLESS THE USA!

Pray for our troops!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0t7ZUwzGA

No comments: