Monday, March 24, 2008

What Happened?

Yesterday was Easter. I did not get to go 'home' for dinner with my family. Being a nurse, and since my place of employment considers Easter one of their paid holidays, I ended up working. Working a holiday is not that big a deal, in this profession. It is one of the things you get used to doing.

I had one of my grand daughters spending a few days with us. She needed to go back south to Illinois yesterday, so my husband took her and had dinner with the family. While there, he was given a box containing many items that belonged to me that have suddenly resurfaced in the house of my ex-husband. In the box are a lot of memories, but I did not get all of them. It seems my grand kids kept the report cards for a closer look. I was a pretty good student for the most part, so I am doubting they will find anything to give me grief about. Well, except that one grading period in a high school social studies class...something to do with a paper that was not turned in on time. Actually, it had been the first paper turned in and when the teacher 'remembered' it, after a lengthy discussion (he never did like me), the grade was changed.

While going through the box this morning, I found many old papers belonging to not only myself, but my own children. Some very old school books, one dating back to 1866. There were old dishes that had been my grandmother's, the paperwork that initiated me into the DAR, my high school diploma and 'those' pictures. Somehow I don't look much different, so I think. Among the graduation stuff, I found a piece of paper that was a nicely done copy of William Tyler Page's American Creed.


I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.

I therefore believe it is my duty to my Country to love it; to support its constitution; to obey its laws; to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.


I wonder if, and when, our current elected officials in the government have ever read this. At this point, I am thinking it has been some time. I am also thinking it would not make any difference to many of them as they obviously appear to have no intention of following what was written by Mr. Page. What happened to 'of the people, by the people, for the people'? What happened to the fact they were placed into office by 'the people' with the idea they were to serve 'the people' at the people's 'consent'? What happened to supporting the Constitution, obeying the laws, respecting the flag and defending this country against its enemies?

Do these people love their country? It appears that Mrs. Obama does not as she has just recently become proud of her country, midway through her adult life. Finally!? While many in this country appear to hate everything it stands for, they are also the first in line to 'get' whatever they can, because it is their 'right'.

I love this country. I am proud if it and what we stand for in the world. We are always first in line to give help when a disaster happens, and we are the least likely to be thanked. I think there are many like myself, and probably more than not. We are the silent majority, those who go to work everyday and quietly do what is right. We are the heartbeat and the pulse of this nation. The rest, those who seem so loudly unhappy, are the 'bad blimp' that would show up on an EKG strip. They might be few and far between, but eventually they will cause enough trouble to cripple the patient. Maybe it is time for those of us who are truly proud of our country and love her, to be a little more vigorous and loud in letting it known. It is time to stop being quiet, silent. The squeaky wheel gets greased first!

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THOSE WHO DEFEND HER!

No comments: